Our customers, which are not only in the ecommerce section, currently experience rates of increasing visitors for their mobile websites of about +10-20 % per month. That implies that the traffic for mobile websites currently increases rapidly. For some customers the mobile traffic takes up to 20 % of their overall traffic. To optimally use this and eventually raise conversion rates, it is extremely important to provide a mobile phone friendly website for mobile users and customers. The graphic below is originated in a Google report on which we refer to in the following.
Mobile websites can appear very negatively
In the graphic you can recognize how dramatically the quality of a mobile websites can affect customers satisfaction and potential purchases. The general problems which were mentioned by questioned users are:
- 75 % of the users (and this most probably rising sharply with increasing smart phone penetration) would prefer a mobile phone friendly company / brand website, alarming 96 % (virtually „everyone“) do not have a website supported for mobile browsing though.
- Even if users are „fans“ of a brand, half of the questioned will visit the website less often if it isn’t optimized for a mobile phone or a tablet.
- 48 % answered that they feel neglected by a company if a website isn’t displayed correctly on a mobile phone or tablet.
It seems as if you would lose considerable more than just the actual sale but rather a damage to the brand right up to the brands’ core is taking place.
Contrary to this mobile websites are able to gain positive results
- The great majority (67 %) are more likely to buy on a mobile phone friendly website, in contrast 61 % claim that they would look somewhere else and switch the website if it isn’t mobile optimized.
- After visting a mobile website, 74 % say they would visit again.
Which usability and design features are needed on mobile websites
Evidently it is very important to get to the desired information with just a few clicks. That also applies to the wish for a working search feature. That is also the great difficulty in practice – since often companies are frightened of the complete rebuilding of a website to a mobile optimized one.
It is a long way until companies will implement the worth of mobile websites – the need exists in any case and is even verified.
To have a mobile website isn’t just helpful to reach more sales but also to establish a strong position on the market. Not to have a mobile website is counterproductive and even detrimental.